Monday, October 27, 2008

Kaki King and Mountain Goats

Allegra wanted to go to the Mountain Goats concert at the Fillmore, and since she agreed to go with me to the She & Him concert next week and because why not, I went along with her. It was a good time. The opening band, whose name I honestly can't remember, was really shitty. They had a sitar player, and were trying to jam out, but no one was really feeling it, except the guy next to Allegra, and the guy next to me. Somehow we were bookended by the two guys who maybe enjoyed it. After the band was done with their set, a guy behind us was like, 'that really sucked.'

Then like a half an hour later Kaki King came one and performed. I had not hear of her before this, but she was like AMAZING. Her guitar skills were really like, I don't even know how to describe it. So I found a video of her unique talents.



this one is from the concert we saw:




Seriously so amazing. And the one guitarist was like really getting into playing his guitar. It was adorable. The one thing that really sucked is that there was this like super drunk slash drunk guy behind slash next to us who was like falling over himself. I guess it was his birthday since his one friend said 'happy birthday, man' to him like 50 times. Oh, and thy totally toked up during the show, which then prompted other people around us to do the same. Eventually his friends took him out of the middle of the floor, of course it was after a couple [I'm assuming they were a couple] behind us was like, 'you might want to take that out of here before he collapses, I don't want to deal with that'. Amen.

Oh, and Allegra and I had this moment where we thought we saw Andrew D'Ambrosi, of Top Chef fame, at the concert. There was this guy who totally looked like him. We seriously had a debate about it for like five minutes. At certain angles we were like, 'oh my god, it's totally him'. But then there was this one angle that like made it definetly not him. But then we see another angel and be like, 'maybe'. In the end we decided it was not him. This guy seemed too short, and if memory, and after looking at clips on youtube, serves me right, Andrew was kind of tall. This guy was not. Which brings me to this question: Does anyone know how tall he is? You would not believe how many places and how long I looked to see how tall he was. I could not find this information anywhere. It was really annoying. If you have this information, do not keep it to yourself. Oh, and we also decided it wasn't him, since he, you know, works and, I would assume, lives in New York, which is on the other side of the country. This story is almost as good as my story about how I almost saw Snoop Dog.

Anyway, then like 45 minutes later the Mountain Goats came on. They were really good. When the lead guy came out, Allegra was like, 'he totally kinda looks like Colbert.' I said, 'kinda' only because he ran out like Colbert wil do before an interview. But then it hit me who he really looked like: Michael Showalter. Like they could be twins. Then of course, the whole night while I was watching him, all I could think about is how much he looked like Michael Showalter. And his voice is kind of how I would imagine Michael Showalter to sing, nasely and geeky. Don't get me wrong, I actually really enjoyed the music and everything, just I could not get over HOW MUCH they looked alike.

In case you don't know who Michael Showalter is, ergo don't know what he looks like, here is an episode of his web series The Michael Showalter Showalter:



Ok back to the concert, you know those drunken douche bags who scream nonsensical shit at concerts? That guy was totally standing next to me. He happened into our area right before the Mountain Goats were about to go on. Trying to get closer and closer by edging his way forward. Allegra would not let him pass, even though he said, 'excuse me'. As Allegra, rightly, pointed out, saying 'excuse me' while butting ahead of someone does not make it more polite, nor does it sheild the fact that you are being a selfish prick by trying to butt ahead so that you can see better, all the while standing right in front of the people you just surpassed. Anyway, this guy mananged to get by Allegra, all the while being a total douche bag. Then the Mountain Goats started playing, and he started shouting out random shit, that really made no sense. And while they were playing he shouted random shit too. Like when Kaki King came back out to sing a song with the band, he shouted, 'Drill baby, Drill'. WTF. Thankfully this guy was not there the whole time. He had a tiff with his girlfriend, who kept fucking bumping into me, and they stormed off. THANK GOD.

Overall the concert was really fun, and made me a fan of at least two new bands (seriously, that first band sucked major ass).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think the guys who were rocking out to the first band enjoyed it more than they were just drunk. Also, that last guy did NOT get past me. No way, no how, mister.