Saturday, October 4, 2008

Can Someone Explain to Me...

....why people applaud at the end of movies?

This is something I have never understood. It doesn't make any sense. It's not like a play or a concert, where the people are there and you are acknowledging the fine work that they have just done in front of you. No. It's a fucking movie. Those actors cannot hear you, or appreciate that you enjoyed their performance. Neither can the director, or any of the other hundreds of people who worked on the film. I've seriously never understood why people clap at the end. Even when I was a little girl, I would be like, 'why are people clapping, there is no fucking point?' It almost like embarrasses me when people do. I am embarrassed for them, for making fools out of themselves, for applauding at nothing. So if you have an explanation, I am curious as to why people do such a retarded thing.



P.S. The only time it is acceptable, is when the filmmaker is there, and can hear your appreciation. Case-in-point, I have a contemporary filmmakers class this weekend, and all of the films we watched in the class had the filmmakers on had to explain their movie or their thoughts. So it would make sense to applaud and show your love for the film, or else it would be kind of crappy not to. In this case, it makes sense.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Um, I clap. A lot. I just do. I don't know, I like to say, I like this movie. And I really don't care about who does or doesn't hear. Its my of going, bravo person. Bravo. Even if they can't hear me. I've always done it...lol