Monday, June 16, 2008

Why Can't I Not Read Subtitles?


The other day I was on a real Gilmore Girls kick, the kind where I just had to watch as many episodes as possible.  I guess it started when I saw an episode on ABC Family, it was like an earlier season, like season 2 or 3.  It has been like over a year since I've sat down and watched an episode.  So I was watching it, and decided I just had to watch some season 4, season 5 episodes, you know the ones where Luke and Lorelai finally get together.  And since I don't have them on dvd, I had to search the internet, and try to find a site that has episodes for free that I can watch.  I finally found one, but the thing has got chinese subtitles on them.  So I'm thinking, that's not too bad, I mean, it's not like I don't understand what they're saying, plus I don't know chinese, so I could just ignore it, right? Right?

Well, as it turns out I can't.  No matter what, I just can't not read them.  And it's the same way with english subtitles too.  A couple of years ago I went and saw Stranger Than Fiction, and I guess there must have been a hard of hearing person in the theater, because they had the subtitles on.  At first I thought it was part of the movie, like you know how it's like a book, but then I realized it wasn't, but I just could not stop reading them.  It's like I understand what they're saying, yet for whatever reason I feel compelled to read those subtitles.  

What the hell is wrong with me?

No comments: