Saturday, June 14, 2008

Holy J.K. Simmons!


I just watched the trailer for the new Coens Brother movie, Burn After Reading.  The movie looks like it's going to be good, and the cast is top notch: Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, and John Malkovich (who I will always have an affinity for just because he agreed to do Being John Malkovich).  But among all those top tier, A-list actor, you want to know the one I'm most excited about seeing?  J.K. Simmons.  

That's right.  J.K. Simmons.

Most of you are probably scratching your heading going, 'who?'  And who can blame you?  The guy has never really headlined a major movie.  But I bet if I showed you a picture of him, you would be like, "oh, right that guy."  Well, I'm kind of a geek, but whenever I see J.K. Simmons I get giddy and really excited.  No, EXTREMELY excited.  I usually find myself pointing and shouting at the screen, "J.K. Simmons!"  For example.  I went through this period of about a week when I was really into youtubing Tony performances.  Don't ask me why, I just was.  So anyway, one of the videos I watched was the 1992 revival cast of Guys and Dolls, performing "Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat" (one of my favs from the musical, FYI).  When, sitting in one of the chairs, was, what appeared to be, J.K. Simmons.  I like lost my shit.  My inner monologue was something like this, "Oh my god! IS that J.K. Simmons?!  I think it is.  Holy Shit! It's J.K. Simmons!"  

Obviously, I just love this guy, in my opinion he is one of the most underrated actors, ever.  He's been in so many things, yet I defy anyone reading this to give me a movie or tv show he's been in.  I bet you can't do it! 

Here's a few examples of his work:
He was the dad in Juno, the best freaking part about that movie, only his, and Allison Janney's performances got me through that movie.
He's one of the psychiatrists on Law and Order-awesome.
He's the chief on The Closer.
He's the head guy of the newspaper in Spiderman.
He's the boss guy of Aaron Eckhart in Thank You For Smoking.
And he's guest acted on a number of shows, Nip/Tuck (the guy who wants the boobs, to write a story about his wife's breast cancer) and Arrested Development (as the guy Lucille goes to to get Buster out of harm's way in the army).

Seeing him costarring or guest acting in things gets me more excited about what I'm watching than I would be if he wasn't in it.  To conclude, I heart J.K. Simmons....a lot.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Oh yay for JK Simmons! I fucking love this guy. I'm with you there, Spitz. That guys kicks some fucking MAJOR ass. :)