Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Current Obsession

Anyone who know me, knows that I am a sucker for musicals.  I don't know what comes over me, but I just love them.  I especially love a tap number, I can't get enough of them.  This would explain my immense love for old 50's musicals.  Love them.  Singin' in the Rain, On The Town, An American in Paris, love them!  All Gene Kelly musicals, not Fred Astaire.  Granted Astaire was amazing at what he did, great dancer, but for whatever reason, he totally creeps me out.  Something in his face screams "PERVE" to me.  It really came into focus with me when I was watching this one clip of Astaire and Kelly doing a tap together, and at one point Astaire has this creepy goatee. Sends shivers up my spine.  

But I digress.  I love 50's musicals, and that's not to say that I don't enjoy the modern musical.  Chicago has got to be in my top 10 favorite movies of all time, and I greatly enjoyed Hairspray, and even Cry Baby (which has been adapted and made it's broadway debut, earlier this month) who doesn't love Johnny Depp?  I'm not saying older movies are better than newer ones.  I hate how people say that they don't make movies as good as they used to.  First of all that is crap, sure there are some terrible movies that are made nowadays, but not every movie that was made during the golden age of cinema was amazing, or the best thing ever made.  I'm sure some were downright awful.  And yes, there were some classics made back then, Casablanca comes to mind, but I hate how people don't give contemporary movies a fair shake.  I feel like there have been several amazing movies made in the last ten or so years.  Once, Lost in Translation, No Country for Old Men, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, the list goes on and on.  

But again I digress.  No. The reason for this post is that the other day my friend and I were watching this show on PBS where they were talking about Hollywood musicals.  It just whetted my appetite for more.  I should also mention that my friend is a dancer, and she taps, and at one point she attempted to teach me how to dance, which is no small feat, I have no rhythm and am awkward when it comes to that sort of stuff.  But i was starting to get the hang of it when, you know, school and life took over and we kind of fell out of practicing.  But anyway, I went on the youtube and searched tap dance,(I know geeky) thinking this would give me my tapping fix.  And oh boy did it ever.  I'm watching some Gregory Hines, some Savion Glover, and of course some Kelly and Astaire.  So i find this one clip of Astaire doing one of his more famous routines; him tapping with a drum set. Awesome. 

 Then on the side I see some other links, and I see one that says: Tom Chambers Tap Dance with Drums, and I think to myself "Ooo, this should be good." (Again, I know, total geek)  So I watch it, and it is really good.  So good I ask myself who this guy his.  He kind of looks like this weird combination of Orlando Bloom and Patrick Duffy ( and yes I did just throw a Step by Step reference in there)  So I ask myself, "Self who is this guy who is an amazing tap dancer?" So I proceed to wikipedia him, and find out that he is an actor, and that he is British.  So basically he is double-ly awesome.  Nothing turns me on more than an accents (unless it's a southern one...sorry, south)  So here's the scoop on this Tom Chambers fellow, apparently he is a British soap star (Soap Operas, one of many guilty pleasures of mine) and he likes to tap dance, so he's golden in my book.  So the whole point of this is that I cannot stop watching this video, it's so perfect and awesome.  If I could I would watch it on a continuous loop forever, or at least until I get bored with it, which will probably be like in a couple of days.  So here it is, hope it brightens your day like it certainly brightens mine.


No comments: