Monday, July 7, 2008

The Spice Girls, Seriously Dirty

Yes, it's true, the Spice Girls have some seriously dirty lyrics. As a kid I never noticed them, I would happily sing along with the sex filled lyrics, not realizing their contents. It really wasn't until like a week ago, when I was driving along the highway, with my friend, singing along to a personal fav of mine, 2 become 1. It was then that I just realized how dirty these lyrics were. Just the chorus is dirty:

I need some love like I never needed love before
(Wanna make love to ya baby)
I had a little love, now I'm back for more
(Wanna make love to ya baby)
Set your spirit free, it's the only way to be

Oh how about this gem:

Are you as good as I remember baby, get it on, get it on
'Cause tonight is the night when two become one

[Chorus]

Ah, oh wow
Ah, oh wow

Be a little bit wiser baby, put it on, put it on
'Cause tonight is the night when two become one

It was at this point that my friend and I looked at each other and changed the song. I actually can't believe my mom let me listen to such filth, and when I asked my mom to defend herself she said, and I quote, "Well you didn't know what you were singing, so I let it slide." So what she is saying, is that she knew the content and just let me listen to the music that I wanted to listen to? Is she mad? What self-respecting parent let's their kids choose such things? My mom apparently. Oh well, I still love the Spice Girls, for nostalgia reasons, of course. But they were pretty awesome. Even if all their songs were about sex.


No comments: