Thursday, August 20, 2009

San Francisco.

I've been in San Francisco for a couple of days now. It really doesn't feel like I'm going to be starting school soon. Usually I have a week and a couple of days to adjust to the fact that I'm going out to California. Normally, my mom and I take a road trip, usually stopping in Chicago to visit my sister and stopping some other choice places (such as Vegas or the Grand Canyon). But this year we just flew out here.

It was quite weird.

Most of my stuff was here, in storage, and the only stuff I had to pack was clothing and movies (which I never unpacked from the box I shipped them back in). I literally packed about 12 hours before the tires went up in the plane. I wasn't really prepared for leaving. I was bummed about missing my friends, sad I couldn't see my Akita one last time, bummed I had to cut my visit with Gretchen short because my mom was stressing about the trip out here.

The flights over here were alright. The first one wasn't very long and we landed on time with enough time to get to our next flight and even to get some food (I got that awesome chicago style deep dish pizza, yum). But then the next flight was a disaster. There was a kid sitting in front of me (there was this one girl, an LA type with a low cut mini dress talking on her cellphone, who went to sit in the vacant seat but then saw the kid and gave a look of utter disgust and kept on walking) that screeched and cried most of the flight. I drowned him out with my ipod, and cool sounds of Jim Dale (the narrator from Pushing Daisies, RIP) as he read Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (my favorite book and movie, by far). All was well, until my ipod decided to die on my (I learned that my ipod only lasts a little less than four hours before it croaks). I tried to sleep, but was jerked awake by either the screaming child in front of me or the kid behind me kicking my chair. I know I shouldn't complain, it reminds me of the funny take on technology as said by louis c.k.

But then I landed here, breathed in the cool, crisp air. That familiar smell. And it eased my anxieties, well at least a little bit.


All of my stuff is in my room now, still in their boxes. I will unpack it all tomorrow. It's weird my rooms at my school have been progressively getting smaller. Well at least for the last three years. The room I had freshman year was the smallest, by far. But then the one I had sophomore year was huge, the one last year was like a mini version of the one from sophomore year. Now the one this year is like a mini version of the mini version of the one from sophomore year.

I have yet to meet my roommates, when I moved in, it was early, and I was the first to move in, and I finished before anyone else had moved in. Then I didn't go back the rest of the day and slept in the hotel. When I went back today to drop off groceries, no one was there, again. Hmmm, I guess I will eventually meet them.

Oh yeah, and my floor theme is Gotham City. We have some bat signals with our names on the doors. Fun.


1 comment:

Ali said...

I love you and miss you. <3

preadl - um, its like a piazza. haha