Sunday, August 23, 2009

Long Rambling Blog Is Long And Rambling, With Bonus Pictures!

I have had an eventful first two days in my new room.

The first day was spent mostly unpacking all of my stuff from the boxes. It was weird actually unpacking my stuff, since I had spent the best part of the night before thinking about unpacking, and unpacking everything in my head. Of course actually unpacking and like daydream unpacking was completely different. I spent most of the day washing everything, from my dishes and silverware to my covers and sheets. I also found out that my sink is broken. That was a rude awakening. I had filled up the left side with water, to wash something or other, and when I emptied it, all the wash came crashing onto the floor, flooding it like the beginning of the titanic sinking. I looked under and saw that the pipes weren't attached at all, and that's why it was leaking. Fucking fail. Throughout the day, we ended up having to dry off the floor like four or five times, as people kept washing dishes or filling the sink up to thaw out some chicken wings. We thought the right side sink was alright, until my one roommate was doing dishes, careful to avoid getting water in the left sink, only to find water spilling out from the cabinet. Well, it appears that the right sink is clogged and the water was going back up through the pipes and coming out the unattached piped. It fucking sucked. But the night ended good, I made some corn chowder (probably the best thing I make), and in the process of making the chowder and getting my clothes out of the laundry, I missed a new episode of Psych. I think that show repeats, fingers crossed.

I foresee a complication that I had not anticipated when I was moving my stuff in. My room is directly across from the Towers, which is mostly a freshmen dorm. This is a problem because most of the freshmen suck, and decided that now that they are on their own they can do whatever and be as loud as they like. I had to endure a woo!party that was happening somewhere outside my room. Every few minutes a random person would just shout 'woo!' at the top of their lungs. Very irritating. And as I laid my head down to sleep, I put Goblet of Fire audio book on my ipod, to drown out the 'woos!', and listened to the first chapter before going to sleep.

It's so infantile, but I'm liking getting read to at night before I go to sleep. It reminds me of when I was a kid and my mom would read me to sleep. It's just a nice little calming thing, especially the guy's voice who reads them (Jim Dale narrator on Pushing Daisies, RIP), so soothing.

Day two was less disastrous. There were a couple of things I needed, so I went out and got them. I needed a longer internet cord, because the one I had had to go across the floor, I knew that at some point I would trip on it, and send my computer flying across the room, breaking it. I didn't want that to happen. I also needed an extension chord for my smaller TV. I am having the weirdest problem with my TV. The outlet is kinda broken, most likely, but the top outlet doesn't really work. Neither of my TV would turn on when plugged into that outlet. The bottom outlet works for my larger TV, but not my smaller one. Then when I tried to plug my cable chord into my larger TV, the cable wouldn't work. The TV said the digital signal was low. But when I plugged it into my smaller TV it worked just fine. So I guess I'm just going to have to watch TV on my smaller TV and then movies and DVDs on my larger one. Such a pain, especially since, as I found out, that my remote for my larger TV works for the smaller one as well. My remote got lost by someone (who never replaced it) and I had bought a new universal remote. I was sitting there in a bout of frustration, when I jokingly pointed my remote at the smaller TV and pressed the ON button. I didn't really expect anything to happen (even though the lost remote looked exactly like the one for the new TV, they are the same brand). Much to my surprise the TV turned on. So that solved that. The only problem is, when the TVs are close together, and I want to turn just one on, both of them go on. So it's really irritating.

Anyway, so I went to the student store and bought the extension chord and internet cable. Then I walked over the mall and when into William Sonoma to get an oil pump. It's a thing that you put regular oil into and you can spray it into pans, instead of getting Pam (it's healthier, and this year I am going to try and get healthier). It was about one o'clock, and I decided I would go downtown and see Inglourious Basterds, the new Quentin Tarantino movie, and also to go to the Container Store to see if they had a box slash footrest (they didn't, I was sad). The movie was pretty good, kind of your typical Tarantino movie, great dialogue and graphic violence. I then grabbed a slice of pizza at Blondies, vegetarian, (I ate all of the vegetable, including mushrooms, until I got really grossed out by the mushrooms and took them off) then hopped on the train back to school. (I looked at my pedometer when I got back, and I walked 6,914 steps. That's a pretty epic number, or at least it makes my journey feel so much more epic)

When I got in I started decorating my room with posters. I finished about half of it, until I got too tired, brushed my teeth, listened to two chapters of Goblet of Fire, and went to bed. I finished decorating my room this morning, while watching The Dark Knight. My love for Gary Oldman could not be any higher. He is so fucking badass as Gordon in the Batman movies, and he's Sirius in the Harry Potter movies, who is only my favorite character in Harry Potter.

Without further ado, I present my room, the 09-10 version!


She & Him, Lost in Translation, I Love You Man, Pushing Daisies, Away We Go, Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, (500) Days of Summer, B&W photo, Superbad, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Studio 60.

She & Him, Lost in Translation, I Love You Man, B&W Photo, Superbad, Eternal Sunshine, Studio 60.

The view from my window. On the left is the Towers, stupid freshmen. And you can also see the parking garage. Don't I just have the loveliest of views?

My little night stand, with my Finding Nemo lamp and my radio. Also my retainer makes an appearance.

Hot Fuzz, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Dave Matthews Band Poster, Milk.

I'm using the pushpins on this poster as a necklace holder. It's working out quite well.

The Swell Season, Hot Fuzz, and my Office Calendar. This month is Oscar month. Also my piggy bank as a little area all to itself.

A Rainy Day In Paris, Kill Bill, Broadway, Best In Show, Jenny Lewis poster, Flight of the Conchords, Office poster (peaking behind the lamp), and Johnny Depp Pirates poster. Also the top half of my desk area, with my DVDs in it.

Looking at my desk from the door area. A Rainy Day in Paris, Kill Bill, Broadway, Swell Season poster, Hamlet 2, Hot Fuzz, Office Calendar, Best in Show, Jenny Lewis, Office Poster, and POTC poster. Then of course my desk in the middle there.

My desk set up. I'm totally digging it this year. I'm feeling good vibes from it. Makes my room seem more organized. Also you can kinda see Akita in there on my computer, smiling. Made me take it twice so that she looked better.

This is this really cool lamp I bought at Target. It's pretty fucking GQ if I do say so myself. I was hoping to get a lens flare, but I guess the light is just not bright enough to do it.

Six Feet Under, The Wrestler, Hot Rod, A Rainy Day in Paris, Kill Bill, Best in Show, Jenny Lewis, Flight of the Conchords, Chicago, Office Inspiration Poster, Arrested Development, The Office, POTC.

Pushing Daisies, Once, Office, For Your Consideration, Frost/Nixon, Doubt, Six Feet Under, Chicago, SPOOOOOOOOOOOCK!, M. Ward, Gas, Away We Go,

In my closet now. I have a Sunshine Cleaning poster, and on the left you can see a part of my shoe rack.

Clothes and shoe rack.

I tried to get a poster on that wall, but the wall did not agree with me and refused to surrender to the push pins. I think that wall is like just a block of concrete, stupid wall.

Knocked Up (if yo couldn't figure that out).

License to Wed, as well as my vacuum and some wine. I was surprised my mom even got me some alcohol, she had said she didn't want to encourage me drinking (you know because I'm such a booze hound, getting drunk every night *sarcasm*), but then we were at the grocery store looking at the wine section. My mom wanted to get some wine from Livermore that is only sold in California. She then decided to get me some wine from Concannon, which is a winery in Livermore. I haven't opened it yet, but my mom says it's pretty good.

Almost forgot, my new chair. They had these fold up chairs at target on sale, so I got one. It's so freaking comfortable.

Especially good for lounging and watching TV. This is why I wanted a footrest, the box inside part was just to that I could use it to store stuff as well, obviously.


That's pretty much it, not much left to say. Tonight for dinner, I'm going to be making some fried rice with vegetables (corn, peas, onions, and carrots). Exciting stuff.

3 comments:

Ali said...

SOOOO....I think I look pretty good. I miss you. And I love your room. I'm gonna finish tomorrow and take pics. And I sorta see a lens flare. Nice flare! :)

hailiess - a princess of hail. :D

Gretchen said...

ellllllen!!! i loves it! your room is freaking awesome! except for that one damn wall that wouldn't submit to your pushpins for posters! but otherwise fabulous! i miss you so much and i wish you could help me decorate my lame ass room!

Gretchen said...

you need to bloooooooooooooooog!!!!!!!