Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Air Travel.

I think this Thanksgiving, I experienced the worst two days of travel...ever.

On the way out to Pa, it seemed easy enough: fly into Washington DC, with an hour to spare, then hop on another plane to Allentown. Easy right? Wrong! The first step was easy enough to obtain, the second step, not so much. So, my flight going out to DC was at like 1 in the afternoon, so I didn't have to get up at too unreasonable an hour. I got up in plenty of time, grabbed a shower, and left. Got the 28 bus, took it to the Daly City BART station, then grabbed a train to the airport. Ended up getting to the airport a good 2 hours early. Grabbed some food, and waited around. My flight, oddly enough, left on time, which is so unusual for the SF airport. Almost every flight I have gotten out of there has not left on time.

Anyway, I get to DC, and figure out where my plan is leaving from, and go. And what do I find, but that my flight have been delayed, I think, by like four minutes, so I don't worry. I grab some food at a burger place called 5 Guys, I got a grilled cheese and some fries, really good. Then I go back to the gate and eat and wait for my plane to take board. At this point, even with the plane leaving on time, I wouldn't get into Allentown until 11:30-midnight. Then, I find out that the plane we are supposed to take, left at 5 that day, then had engine troubles wherever is landed, and so now we don't have a plane to take us. So people weren't sure if they were going to cancel the flight or if they were going to be able to get it in. This was this like couple sitting across from me who kept debating this question, the husband was like convinced that they were going to cancel the flight, so they should rent a car and drive home, the wife was just like 'whatever, I don't care'. But they debated this for a while, and I totally thought they had decided to rent a car and drive home, because they got up with all their stuff and left only to return like an hour later. So I was bummed, and really worried, cuz I didn't want to stay in DC for the night. So I waited, watched some HIMYM, Slap Bet and Stuff [gotta love NPH as a singing robot].

The plan was that the plane going to to somewhere in NY was going to go, and then fly back and come get us and take us to Allentown. Sounds good, until you realise that the pilot and crew can only fly a certain amount of time, and they were worried that they would be over by the time they got back, thus stranding us in DC. So again we were left waiting. Luckily the flight did not get canceled and we ended up leaving by like 1:30 in the AM. We had this like awesome flight attendant named Gary, I think. He totally had a, 'Man I better be getting paid extra for this shit' attitude. Loved it. Plus the guy gave me a whole can of ginger ale, so I was happy. We ended up getting into Allentown at like 3:30 in the morning. When I got home, Luke came down to greet me, and was crying and super excited. Even Max came out to say hello. It was nice.

So now the flight back. Originally I was supposed to take the same flight back. Fly from Allentown to DC then DC to San Fran. Unfortunately, the airplane company changed my flight to this: Allentown to Chicago, Chicago to Sacramento, Sacramento to San Francisco, basically a 12 hour day. Oh yeah, and my first flight left at 7:10 in the am. Oh and the kicker is, I was really sick, still am, with some illness. So yeah, it made a bad day worse.

Nothing really exciting happened, all my flight left on time. The only sad thing that happened was while I was walking to get a cab home, one of my favorite flower earring that my sister gave me for my birthday, fell out in the airport somewhere. I didn't notice it was missing until I was already halfway home. So sad. I freaking love those earrings.

1 comment:

Ali said...

Why would you commit to losing the earrings? Don't you know? Deny, deny, deny!!!!

And, dude, there was so much writing, but i read it like super fast.

I miss you.

Luke cried? Aw.

I was gonna say something funny I believe, but I forget. :(

Oh yeah, and I miss you. :)


benstes - Two people named Ben who are besties. :D